Barbara Schlottfeldt shared a cute lesson last week called “Turkey and Stuffing.” I modified the lesson to accomodate by third graders who are just learning the pitch “b” on the recorder.
- The class sits in a circle with their recorders on the floor in front of them
- We sing the Turkey and Stuffing song and go around the circle to reply what we like best. (see the music for information). I transposed the melody to G.
- The teacher puts the melody on the recorder and the students listen to see if they can “hear the words” in the recorder melody.
- Students make the pitch “b” on their recorders and they are told to put their response in their recorder.
- We go around the circle with the teacher playing the melody and the students playing their response on B.