Oops- I meant to post this list yesterday and yesterday’s list today! Sorry!
This is the first of a list of helpful jumping off points using songs that your students already know! This list was given to me when I first started teaching and it was compiled by a few Kodaly teachers. I hope you find these as helpful as I have found them- especially when I look at material and I’m not quite sure where to start or where else to go.
Ways to practice while singing a song:
- Sing and tap the beat.
- Sing and clap the rhythm.
- Sing, walk beat, clap rhythm.
- Sing, walk beat, except clap the rhythm on a certain rhythm.
- Sing and clap rhythm; alternately singing :inside” and “outside” ona signal (inside your head and out loud).
- Sing and clap ostinato.
- Sing and clap changing ostinato patterns.
- Sing, tap rhythm of son in cannon with itself.
- Sing, tap rhythm of another song (TRICKY)!
- Sing rhythm syllables, tap beat.
There are many more tips coming your way later this week!