This is a continuation from the past few posts. You can click on the calendar to the right from 2.16- today and catch up on the lesson from there. Yesterday the class created an A section, B section, C, section, and a D section. Click HERE for yesterday’s entry.
- Display the sections on the board (sometimes different colors help distinguish the patterns).
- Review the rhythmic patterns as a class.
- Display these elemental forms. AAAB, ABBA, ABAB, ABCA. (I know there is no D, I use D as an alternate section if there are a lot of groups or I allow a fast finishing group to substitute D in lieu of something else).
- Allow the students to create a percussion composition using the forms above. They may use drums or any other instruments that you have available. If you don’t have instruments the students can use body percussion.
- Allow the students to practice and perform for the class.
There are other places to go from here. The class can:
- Create new sections, combine sections, change instruments, play another group’s composition, transfer compositions to other instruments, pitched or un-pitched, or add text! Let them sing it, move it, or add ostinati. The possibilities are endless!