All of the rain in South Florida lately has prompted me to share one of my favorite rainy day activities. I do this mostly with my little second graders.
1. We all learn the poem “rain, rain, go away, come again another day!”
2. We transfer the rhythm to body percussion (patting with alternate hands).
3. We quickly notate the rhythm of the poem (sometimes I leave this out).
4. We sit in a circle. I give every 4th or 5th child a glockenspiel set in C pentatonic (you can use bells and tell the children to just use the ones that the top).
5. We say the poem as a group and then the students with the instruments play the poem using whichever notes they like! I maintain a steady drone using a bass metallophone and I often pass the rain stick around the circle to add a little color.
We will also turn the lights off and let the little natural light come through window. It creates a nice calm environment for both me and the children.