The NGSSS come from 5 Big Ideas. These Big Ideas are the guiding principles used to focus Arts Eduction. These same Big Ideas are found across all of the Arts NGSSS. The 5 Big Ideas are:
1. Critical Thinking and Reflection.
2. Skills, Techniques, and Processes.
3. Organizational Structure.
4. Historical and Global Connections.
5. Innovation, Technology, and the Future.
All of our music instruction falls under one (or sometimes more) of these Ideas. If you haven’t looked at the new standards, try to predict what kinds of benchmarks you might find under each Big Idea.
Do you agree with these Big Ideas? Are there any that you feel were left off? Discuss!